.

If you enjoy Southern Grace, Gardening, Preserving, Recipes, Handmade and Homemade, and Primitives then you are going to love this Blog. There will be many useful ideas and upcoming tips that I have learned on my journey that I will share on this site.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Muscadine Grapes


Purple Muscadine Grapes
Where do I begin with this wonderful fruit that I call my fountain of youth? We grow pretty much everything we eat on our property but this is my all time favorite that we have here and I can't say enough good things about them!

I fell in love with the taste of the Muscadine when I went to Lakeland Winery in Clermont Florida about 6 years ago. It was then I knew that I had to grow them but it goes deeper than that. Before we plant anything I always look up the health benefits of the fruit, veggie or herb. I was astonished at the multiple benefits that this Purple beauty provides!


The Muscadine Grape is nature's best source of natural Antioxidants. It slows the onset of diseases caused by aging like heart disease, stroke, arthritis, cancer, neuro degenerative disease, inflammatory conditions, Alzheimer's and been known to slow down menopausal symptoms. (woo-hoo!) It also has Resveratrol which reverses aging!

In this little article I am going to share with you what I do with my Muscadine's...we don't just eat the fruit. I will also add links so that you can read up on the health benefits for yourself. I know for me this fruit has help me in so many ways that I will mention later.


Our Muscadine Grapes

I came up with a way to powder and store the skins, pulp and seeds which is the most healthy part of the Grape. I use the powder in my homemade shakes every morning. I have been making my shakes with the powder for 4 years now and not been sick nor do I have any kind of arthritic pain like I had before. For a mother of 4 and grandmother of 4 and in my 50's I should have some kind of pain, but I don't and swear it is because of the Muscadines. Not only that my skin is reverse aging. The wrinkles I had on my face before are diminishing. Below is a step by step process that I do and please remember that this is something that I do and I am sharing it with you because I have so many people asking me what it is that I am doing.  I'm not a professional, I just know that it works for me!


I wash the Grapes and juice them

 Strain all the juice from the left over pulp

Save the pulp, skins and seeds!
After all liquid is removed spread out on your dehydrator sheet 1/4" thick
Dehydrate for about 48 hours until it looks like Jerky
It should be crispy when it cools then put in the food processor
The food processor will turn most of it to powder but some seeds will be left
Crush the seeds and add them to the powder, then put in the food processor again to make a fine powder
Store in an air tight container. A mason jar is good!


.
This is my shake that I drink every morning. The ingredients are: Milk, Strawberries, Blackberries, 1/2 Banana, Muscadine powder, Kale powder, Nettle powder, Aloe juice, Flax seed oil and Agave Nectar. (all from our farm except the Flax and Agave)


Part of the juice is stored in the freezer and the other part my brother makes Wine.  We can the Grapes,  make Stuffed Grape leaves with new leaves on the vine, Jellies, Pies and even mix the powder with Honey and use as a facial scrub...and the fun part is making the Grape Vine Wreaths!
 Anyone that loves Primitives like I do just can't get enough of the vine wreaths and baskets. So yes, the Muscadines are my most favorite on the property. Below are some pictures and links so you can read up on the health benefits and how to grow them if you live in the South. We expand our little Vinyard every year! 






Yummy snacks in extra light syrup
Stuffed Grape Leaves
Love my Grape Vine Wreaths!



Happy Gritin'! ~Melinda~

1 comment: